image preview

Creation Date



SV306 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking south at the Eastern Railroad depot from the sidewalk adjoining the railroad tunnel at the center of Washington Street, with men and children visible. Circa 1870.

Built 1847, the Salem Depot, with a stone facade resembling a medieval castle, stood for over a century before being demolished in 1954-55; at the same time, a new railroad tunnel was built under the site. The site is now occupied by the intersection of Washington and New Derby Street, along with Riley Plaza. Source: Salem Links & Lore


Salem, Aerials, Railroads, Eastern Railroad, E.R.R., E.R.R. Depot, Salem Depot, Washington Street

Image Location