SV302 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking down Washington Street toward the Eastern Railroad depot. The visages of the Odd Fellows Hall (Asiatic Block) and Calef's Tea & Coffee Warehouse are visible to the left. Circa 1870.
Built 1847, the Salem Depot, with a stone facade resembling a medieval castle, stood for over a century before being demolished in 1954-55; at the same time, a new railroad tunnel was built under the site. The site is now occupied by the intersection of Washington and New Derby Street, along with Riley Plaza. Source: Salem Links & Lore
Salem, Railroads, Eastern Railroad, E.R.R., E.R.R. Depot, Salem Depot, Washington Street, John Calef, Odd Fellows Hall, Asiatic Block