SV298 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking south at the Eastern Railroad depot from Town House Square, with the railroad tunnel entrance and Washington Street visible. People are in view along the street with trolleys and carriages. Circa 1870.
Built 1847, the Salem Depot, with a stone facade resembling a medieval castle, stood for over a century before being demolished in 1954-55; at the same time, a new railroad tunnel was built under the site. The site is now occupied by the intersection of Washington and New Derby Street, along with Riley Plaza. Source: Salem Links & Lore
Salem, Railroads, Eastern Railroad, E.R.R., E.R.R. Depot, Salem Depot, Washington Street