image preview

Creation Date



SV293 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the Eastern Railroad depot at the end of Washington Street. A horse-drawn carriage is visible in the center under the station's granite archway.

Built 1847, the Salem Depot, with a stone facade resembling a medieval castle, stood for over a century before being demolished in 1954-55; at the same time, a new railroad tunnel was built under the site. The site is now occupied by the intersection of Washington and New Derby Street, along with Riley Plaza. Source: Salem Links & Lore


Salem, Railroads, Eastern Railroad, E.R.R., E.R.R. Depot, Salem Depot, Washington Street

Image Location