SV294 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking down Washington Street toward the Eastern Railroad depot. The visages of the Odd Fellows Hall (Asiatic Block) and Calef's Tea & Coffee Warehouse are visible to the left. Circa 1870.
Built 1847, the Salem Depot, with a stone facade resembling a medieval castle, stood for over a century before being demolished in 1954-55; at the same time, a new railroad tunnel was built under the site. The site is now occupied by the intersection of Washington and New Derby Street, along with Riley Plaza.
Salem, Railroads, Eastern Railroad, E.R.R., E.R.R. Depot, Salem Depot, Washington Street, John Calef, Odd Fellows Hall, Asiatic Block