SV291 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the Eastern Railroad depot at the end of Washington Street. A horse-drawn carriage is visible in the center under the station's granite archway.
Published by J.W. & J.S. Moulton, 256 Essex Street, c. 1873-76.
Built in 1847, the Salem Depot, with a stone facade resembling a medieval castle, stood for over a century before being demolished in 1954-55; at the same time, a new railroad tunnel was built under the site. The site is now occupied by the intersection of Washington and New Derby Street, along with Riley Plaza.
Salem, Railroads, Eastern Railroad, E.R.R., E.R.R. Depot, Salem Depot, Washington Street