SV292 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking south toward the Eastern Railroad depot from Washington Street. A trolley car can be seen to the right while horses and carriages are on the left (along with a sign for Calef's Tea & Coffee Warehouse), and the cobblestones on the street are visible.
Published by Charles A. Beckford, 141 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1868-70.
Built in 1847, the Salem Depot, with a stone facade resembling a medieval castle, stood for over a century before being demolished in 1954-55; at the same time, a new railroad tunnel was built under the site. The site is now occupied by the intersection of Washington and New Derby Street, along with Riley Plaza.
Salem, Railroads, Eastern Railroad, E.R.R., E.R.R. Depot, Salem Depot, Washington Street, John Calef