SV296 — Nelson Dionne Collection. Aerial view looking south toward the Eastern Railroad depot. Taken from the Asiatic Block/Odd Fellows Hall on Washington Street. Circa 1870.
Built 1847, the Salem Depot, with a stone facade resembling a medieval castle, stood for over a century before being demolished in 1954-55; at the same time, a new railroad tunnel was built under the site. The site is now occupied by the intersection of Washington and New Derby Street, along with Riley Plaza. Source: Salem Links & Lore
Salem, Aerials, Railroads, Eastern Railroad, E.R.R., E.R.R. Depot, Salem Depot, Washington Street