SV283 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View taken on the deck of the British ironclad HMS Bellerophon, showing the crew. Appears to have been taken while the vessel was flagship for the North American station, sometime between 1873-1881.
The Bellerophon, the second with that name, launched 1865, renamed Indus III in 1904 and used for training, and sold for scrap in 1922. The first Bellerophon was the ship that Napoleon surrendered on.
Salem, Maritime, Battleships, Bellerophon, Indus III