image preview

Creation Date



SV251 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking north down Rust Street at the First Universalist Church. Originally constructed 1808-1809, this view was taken following an 1877-1878 renovation which redesigned the building in a Victorian Gothic style. The building has since been reverted to its previous Federal-style form.

The church ceased services in 2015 and now serves as a community art center.

On the back, a descriptor written following the 1877-1878 renovation notes the history of the church building from its foundation through several renovations. Below this history is a list of pastors of the church from Rev. Edward Turner to Edwin C. Bolles. On the publication, Bolles is recorded as the current pastor; he would eventually leave this post in 1887.

universalist005b.tif (32752 kB)
Backside, with history of the church & list of pastors.


Salem, Churches, Universalist Church, Bridge Street, Rust Street

Image Location