SV254 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking north down Rust Street at the First Universalist Church. Constructed 1808-1809 in a Federal style, this view was taken before an 1877-1878 renovation. The building has since been reverted to this form.
The church ceased services in 2015 and now serves as a community art center.
On the back, a descriptor written following the 1877-1878 renovation notes the history of the church building from its foundation through several renovations. Below this history is a list of pastors of the church from Rev. Edward Turner to Edwin C. Bolles. On the publication, Bolles is recorded as the current pastor; he would eventually leave this post in 1887.
NOTE: While the presence of the the backside descriptor makes the creation date of the stereographic card post-1878, the image itself is from before the renovation and as such is pre-1877.
Salem, Churches, Universalist Church, Bridge Street, Rust Street