SV217 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the South Methodist Church, after a post-1874 renovation, at the corner of Harbor and Lafayette Streets.
Creator/publisher unidentified, but the "Salem and Vicinity" and "American Scenery" card resembles Miller & Best in font and style, c. 1882-85.
Built in the early 1800s to serve the Methodist population of Salem, the congregation eventually left this building in 1910 for a new building at 296 Lafayette Street. Thereafter, according to the 1911 atlas, the old church served as home for the Franco-American Catholic Association. Not long after that, the wooden structure was completely destroyed in the great fire of 1914.
Salem, Methodist Church, Lafayette Street, Harbor Street