Preview

image preview

Creation Date

1874

Description

SV159 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of Mechanic Hall, at 283-287 Essex Street, taken from down the street. Also visible are a few of the surrounding shops, including John S. Ives's seed store to the left across Crombie St.

Published by Peabody & Tilton, 220 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1874-78.

Built as a meeting place and function hall for the Salem Charitable Mechanic Association in 1839, Mechanic Hall eventually succumbed to fire on February 4, 1905, and was replaced on the site by the Empire Theatre. Currently, the site now houses a parking lot.

View is the same as SV158.

mechanichall003b.tif (33492 kB)
Backside

Keywords

Salem, Mechanic Hall, John S. Ives, Essex Street, Crombie Street

Image Location

 
COinS