SV158 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of Mechanic Hall at 283-287 Essex Street taken from up the street. Also visible are a few of the surrounding shops, including John S. Ives's seed store. Built as a meeting place and function hall for the Salem Charitable Mechanic Association in 1839, Mechanic Hall eventually succumbed to fire on February 4, 1905, and was replaced on the site by the Empire Theatre. Currently, the site now houses a parking lot.
Salem, Mechanic Hall, John S. Ives, Essex Street, Crombie Street