SV157 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of Mechanic Hall at 283-287 Essex Street taken from the yard of Mary A. Sanders across the street. Also visible, to the right, is Moses P. Perkins's fruit and confectionary shop. Built as a meeting place and function hall for the Salem Charitable Mechanic Association in 1839, Mechanic Hall eventually succumbed to fire on February 4, 1905, and was replaced on the site by the Empire Theatre. Currently, the site now houses a parking lot.
Salem, Mechanic Hall, Essex Street, Crombie Street