St. Mary of the Annunciation was founded in 1859 although it was not officially named the Church of St. Mary of the Annunciation until 1871. As the congregation grew, the building of the church was extended. A second parish cemetery was added in 1897. A new church had to be built in 1937 after the demolition of the old church due to construction of Route 128. A rectory was built in 1948. In 1958 a parochial school was built, followed two years later by a convent.
At the time of this lithograph, Rev. Daniel B. Kennedy was pastor. He only remained at the church for two years. Every record of Rev. Kennedy at a church after his time in Danvers shows that he never stayed at any given parish for more than a few years.