On same sheet as Phillips Academy Buildings.
The Andover Theological Seminary:
Rev. Dr. Spring of Newburyport and Dr. Hopkins of Salem developed a plan to open a theological seminary around the same time as Phoebe Phillips, Hon. John Phillips, and Samuel Abbot had begun their plans to do the same in Andover. When they realized this, the two groups made the decision (after much discussion and uncertainty) to join their efforts and make one seminary. They reasoned that one school would be more practical than two rival schools, but the next roadblock was how to teach both Hopkinsian and Calvinistic doctrines at the seminary. It took nine months of negotiations with Dr. Eliphalet Pearson as moderator, but finally everyone arrived at a compromise and the seminary went forward.
Dr. Spring found several people willing to donate money to the Andover Theological Seminary. Mr. and Mrs. John Norris gave $40,000, Mr. Moses Brown gave $35,000, and Mr. William Bartlet gave a total of $160,000. The three partners of Smith, Dove & Company (John and Peter Smith, and John Dove) donated $60,000 for a library to be built. It was called Brechin Hall, after the donors’ hometown in Scotland. Brechin Hall housed thirty-seven thousand books, in addition to its religious periodicals. It was also home to a number of curiosities gathered by missionaries who traveled abroad. Included in this collection were religious items from people who the missionaries considered to be “heathens.”
Phillips Academy was founded in 1778 by Samuel Phillips, Jr. and opened with thirteen students. The prestige of the school grew, attracting students such as Howell Lewis, the nephew of George Washington and Samuel F.B. Morse, the inventor of the telegraph and Morse Code. In 1808 the Andover Theological Seminary was founded next to Phillips Academy. In 1828 it was decided in the town of Andover that a school would be built for girls so that they could receive an education like their brothers. It was called Abbot Academy and the first class had seventy students.
After the Andover Theological Seminary moved to Cambridge in 1908, Phillips Academy bought the buildings and land that the seminary had occupied and absorbed them into its campus.
In 1973, Phillips Academy and Abbot Academy merged to become a coeducational school.